History papers can take a long time to write. The creation process might be overwhelming, and if the topic is not interesting enough, students might have a hard time finishing on time. If you want successful history research paper ideas, stop procrastinating. Good history topics for a research paper are challenging to find, and great content is not that easy to come up with either. Make sure you take time to brainstorm, analyze, receive feedback, and reconsider, if that might be the case.
Writing history papers can be challenging because in history, nothing is relative. An event either happened, or it didn’t. A battle either took place, or it didn’t. An emperor either won, or he didn’t. Students cannot fill pages with unnecessary content. Your opinion is relevant only as long as it relates back to the text.
How To Write a History Essay or Research Paper
When writing a research paper, it’s a must to:
- Design a powerful thesis and state your intentions from the beginning of the text
- Find strong, argumentative essay topics that directly support your thesis
- Brainstorm ideas thoroughly before choosing an interesting American history research paper topic
- Research what’s been already been published
- Outline your ideas clearly
- Write a draft, and revise it as much as possible
Top 10 History Topics For Research Paper
Now that you have an idea of what rules you should consider when writing a history research paper, let’s see which top 10 research topics are the most interesting to you.
American History Before 1877: from Columbus to the 13th Amendment
One of the best rated AP US history research paper topics, the history before 1877 lays the foundation of the future, powerful America. Cristopher Columbus discovered the New World in 1492, and suddenly, a whole new continent was born. Who knew how big of an impact will the new discovery have on the world’s history?
With the Declaration of Independence being signed in 1776, the Articles of Confederation being published in 1781, and the 13th Amendment being implemented in 1865, this rich part of history can be exceptionally absorbing to write about.
European History, Culture, and Their Impact on The New World
The European influence on the Americas can be noticed even in our days. These world history research paper topics are enthralling to develop on. The European colonization of the Americas began in 15th century, with a simple Spanish expedition. Since then, France, England, Portugal, and the Dutch Republic have also colonized parts of the Americas.
The colonies’ economic and political influence on the new country has developed and Impacted it in significant ways.
African-American History: From Slavery to Civil Rights
African-American history is always interesting to write about. The ancient history of the Blacks in the U.S. starts in the 17th century, when slavery was brought to the U.S. by English colonies. The idea that African-Americans were “inferior” because of their skin color has perpetuated throughout the years in the American culture.
Fortunately, the abolition of slavery in 1860 was one of the most meaningful and powerful social movements in America. While the South opposed to the movement, reforms were already prepared in those regards, and African Americans leaders were already forming their own coalition.
About Racism and The Hispanic World
If you want to get into a more recent subject, you could write a US history essay on the new Mexican-presidential polemic taking place in the United States. President Donald Trump has been making some interesting statements regarding the Hispanic culture, and there is a lot to be discussed on the topic in regard to ethics, and the importance of political correctness within any state.
While politics is not something everyone is interested in, political science should be an area of interest for numerous people.
Presidential Debates and Their Influence on Today’s Society
It’s widely known that presidential debates have been an important factor of decision-making for Americans. Starting with Kennedy-Nixon in 1960, continuing with Reagan-Carter in 1980, Obama-Romney in 2012, and finally, Hillary-Trump in 2016, the huge influence presidential debates have on voters is incontestable. Debates change peoples’ minds and influence their behaviors.
Hint hint: This is one of the most popular history research paper topics in the 20th century!
The Civil War: Why, How, and What For
Being the President of the United States during the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln is one of the most influential entities in the American history. Any research paper on his life, his influential power, and his character will be highly appreciated. The Civil War is an extremely engaging subject to discuss and further analyze.
There are so many history research paper topics for college students in this field: slavery issues, the division of the central powers in the U.S., or the battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania – they are all enthralling topics to discuss.
19th Century American History: The Declaration of Independence
The Declaration of Independence, signed in 1776, is the beginning of what we now call America. Under the decree, the American colonies were finally freed by British imperialists, and became independent. Writing a research paper about such a significant moment in the American history can be really advantageous – there’s already a lot of research on the subject.
Music in The Middle East: How it Shaped Lives
The rich Middle East History, along with its unusual, perfect dances, make Middle Eastern countries a truly compelling topic to write about. Music history is also an engaging topic to expand on. Combining the two can be a captivating combo!
Joseph Stalin and The World War II
A fairly common history essay topic for high school students, the WWII is one of the most important historical periods in the entire world. The war has changed mentalities, destroyed millions of lives, and influenced cultures. People can still see the war’s impact wherever they look: it’s in our bones, cultures, traditions, literature, and stories, and it will never cease to exist.
Literature During the Holocaust: Its Evolution and Hidden Meaning
If you are looking for project topics for history students, we found a good one for you: literature during the Holocaust. This exhaustive topic can cover different subjects, authors, personal memories, or magazines published during that time. Check out A Thousand Darkness: Lies and Truth in Holocaust Fiction by Ruth Franklin for inspiration.
Interesting History Research Paper Topics To Write On
World History research paper topics
- Gulf War: The Desert Shield Operation
- Egypt: How the Huge Empire Collapsed
- The Reasons Why the Colonial System Didn’t Work
- Gandhi’s Role in the Failure of the Colonial System
- How Bronze Age Discoveries Affected the Development of Society
- The Origins of Slavery
- How the Civil Rights Movement Made History
- How Pop Culture in England Changed Under Margaret Thatcher’s Rule
- The Origins of the European Union
- How Napoleon Set a New Track in International Relations
AP US History research paper topics
- How Europeans Came to America
- The Spanish Domination during the 16th Century in American History
- How European Meals Changed Under the Influence of American Crops
- How Slavery in America Started
- The Idea of Class-Based Colonies: How They Affected American History
- The Development of Independent National Identity in American Colonies
- How Steel Turned USA into a Global Leading Industrial Power
- The Laissez-Faire Idea of Economy: How It Led to the Great Depression
- How the Civil Rights Movement Started in the USA
- The 1980s in American History – The Great Return of Conservatism
African American History research paper topics
- How Did African People Come to America?
- The Origins of Slavery in America
- Why Were the Policies of Slavery So Different in the North and South of America?
- The “White” National Identity in America: Where Did It Come From?
- How the Cotton Gin Reinforced the Growth of Slavery in the South
- The Sharecropping System: Was It Fair?
- How Black Men and Women Started Voting
- African Americans After WWII
- How the Great Depression Affected African Americans
- How the First African American U.S. President Changed History
Music History research paper topics
- Prehistoric Music: The Voice as an Instrument
- Instrument of Ancient Music
- Music During the Biblical Period: Solomon’s Temple as a School of Music
- How the Fall of the Roman Empire Affected the Development of Baroque Music
- Gregorian Chant: Characteristics
- How the Medici Influenced Renaissance Music
- The Venetian School of Music: Notable Composers
- Mozart: The Largest Influence to Music of the Classical Era
- How Is Romantic Music Different from Classical Music?
- The Origins of Electronic Music
European History research paper topics
- An Average Person’s Life in Late Gothic Florence
- How Italian Society Was Transformed During the Renaissance
- Architecture in Northern Italy During the Renaissance
- Leonardo da Vinci: The Most Notable Representative of High Renaissance Art
- Mannerism: The Movement between Renaissance and Baroque
- The Rise of Banking in Europe
- How Modern Nation States Were Formed
- The Printing Press: How a Single Invention Changed the World
- The Compass: The Tool that Help Columbus Find America
- How Was Napoleon Able to Invade Russia?
US History research paper topics 19th century
- How George Washington Became the First President of the U.S.
- How the Tax on Whiskey Affected U.S. Economy in the Early 19th Century
- Democracy Reborn: The Era of Thomas Jefferson
- The Louisiana Purchase: How the U.S. Bought a State from Napoleon
- The War of 1812: What Goals Did the U.S. Have?
- The Effects of Lincoln-Douglas Debates on Public Opinion
- How the American Civil War Started
- How the End of Confederacy Affected the Future Development of U.S.
- The Reconstruction Era: What Was Being Reconstructed?
- The Assimilation of American Indians into the General U.S. Society
Ancient History research paper topics
- How the Ideas from Ancient History Extended into Post-Classical History
- Where Does Ancient History Begin?
- Where Does Ancient History End?
- The Main Characteristics of the Archaic Period
- What Ideas from Ancient Greek Philosophers Are Still Present Today?
- Factors that Led to the Neolithic Revolution
- What We Know about How the Egyptian Pyramids Were Built
- Pompeii Before the Volcano Eruption
- Major Inventions During the Shang Dynasty in China
- The Vedic Tradition in Indian Philosophy: How It’s Revived Today
Civil War research paper topics
- How the Enslavement of Black People Led to the American Civil War
- The Ideological Difference between the South and the North
- The Confederate vs. The Union Flag: What’s the Ideology Behind Them?
- How Did the Confederate Navy Lose New Orleans in 1863?
- How the American Civil War Was an Industrial War in Its Essence
- Early Laws Against Slavery in the North
- Why and How the Wilmot Proviso Failed
- Was the “Popular” Sovereignty Doctrine Fair?
- The Origins of Sectionalism
- How Jefferson Davis Influenced the Development of Events during the American Civil War
Philippine History research paper topics
- How Ferdinand Magellan Found the Philippines
- The Origins of the Name Philippines
- The Consequences of Magellan’s murder
- How the Battle of Mactan Changed the Social and Political Development of the Philippines
- The Philippines Under the Rule of Philip II of Spain
- Was the Spanish Empire Cruel or Fair When Ruling the Philippines?
- The Fundamentals of the Barrio Government System
- The Reorganization of Town Governments Under the Maura Law of 1893
- How the Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade Financed the Economy of The Philippines During the Early Years of the Colony
- How Pineapple Became a Real Source of Income for The Philippines
Middle East research paper topics
- How Gӧbekli Tepe in Anatolia Was Built
- Domestication of Sheep in Mesopotamia: How It Affected Human Development
- How the Domestication of Einkorn Wheat Started
- The Social Structure of Jarmo – Agricultural Communities in Northern Iraq
- How the Potter’s Wheel Was Invented in Mesopotamia
- The Black Sea Floods Circa 5600 BCE: What Did Humanity Lose?
- Why Were the First Temples in South Mesopotamia Built?
- The Social Classes in Egypt’s Middle Kingdom
- How the Assyrians Took Over Babylon in 1234 BCE
- What Led to the Collapse of the Bronze Age?
Finding the right research paper topic takes time and patience, so make sure you start now. Do not leave this important task at the last minute. Choose a topic, respect the guidelines, and start working on your successful paper.