Being able to find good topics for a research paper is a highly valued and important skill every student should possess. In some cases, professors will give you a list of interesting topics for research papers to choose from. In others, you will be asked to select your own research paper topic.
When this happens, you must be aware that this decision can influence the entire writing flow and the general quality of your paper. Your high school research topics must be focused and concise, as well as interesting, but also broad in their own way so that you can find enough data to support your thesis. Before making the choice, you need to consider all this. That’s the only way to choosing good research paper topics for high school students.
How To Choose Research Paper Topic
The following steps and tips will help you choose good research paper topics. Moreover, we will provide you with a list of the best research paper topics for inspiration.
Choose several topics of your interest. Look for something that you find interesting, controversial, problematic, or simply believe it is worth exploring. When you have a list of several controversial topics for high school research paper, you can continue by writing down keywords and data that would serve to support the research.
You won’t be adding or showing this list anywhere, so there’s no need to be extra careful or opt for organized content. The goal here is to write down all high school research topics that you can and are willing to write on. More specifically, researchable, focused, and topics for which you have a unique and supported approach.
The goal of this list is to help you narrow down your ideas to two or three favorites.
Explore the Topics
With those topics in front of you, you can perform some general research to finalize your choice. Read some general information on the top two or three choices you made. This should help you determine which topic is most interesting, whether you can find data on all of them, etc. Of course, the information you find in this part will be very helpful for you when you do the actual writing and researching.
Focus on the Chosen Topic
Now that you finally got to a part where you have a topic in mind, it is time to make some final amends and plan how to present the topic to your audience. There are many high school research paper topics to choose from, but one essential part of submitting a good paper is the way you approach those topics.
For example, a scientific research paper requires a more detailed approached backed with plenty of scientific data.
Here are some of the things you need to focus on when choosing your topics for high school research papers:
- Make sure it is not too broad or too narrow
You can go wrong in two ways: your topic is too broad or too narrow. Limit your topic by timeframes, culture, area, population group, discipline, etc. If the topic is too locally confined, it will be hard to research. If it is very recent, it will cause you many troubles when you need to find resources. If it is very broad, you will be overwhelmed and experience troubles when attempting to organize your data.
- Define it as a research question
Start with a keyword and define your topic in the form of a research question. This will help you with the creation of the thesis statement, as well as the entire writing process.
Ideas for High School Research Paper Topics
Now that we’ve discussed the best ways to find a topic for your research paper, we present you with the best research paper topics to choose from.
Research paper topics for high school juniors
- What were the roles of women in Europe in the beginnings of the 20th century?
- What are the flaws of our prison system?
- How is racism understood and described by media in the UK?
- Climate changes and the effects on our world
- Violence in sports and how to reduce it
- Providing people with disabilities with quality education
Research paper topics for high school seniors
- Plato’s philosophy of mathematics and its significance
- Death penalties – should they or should they not be outlawed?
- The effects of genetically modified foods on our environment
- Music treatment as a therapy for people who suffer from mental diseases
- What should be done to reduce and prevent the addiction to drugs in students?
- What social factors boost the eating disorders in teenagers?
Research paper topics for high school freshman
- Development of the Civil Rights Movement in the United States
- Distinguishing jails from prisons – what does the difference affect?
- Sources and development of jazz music
- The branches of government and their power
- Should the age for legal drinking of alcohol be lowered?
- Soil moisture and the effect of the size of the trees on its level
Biology research paper topics for high school
- Where does DNA come from?
- Mutation of cells into cancer and the processes
- The most commonly used pieces of lab instruments in a biology lab and what are they used for
- What types of different cells exist in our bodies?
- Safety precautions to be taken in a biology lab and the risks of not taking them
- How does blood perform the vital functions in the human body?
Chemistry research paper topics for high school
- How different chemicals trigger food allergies in people
- Liquid bandages and dental fillings – the chemistry behind the two
- What are pesticides and how can they damage the soil
- Causes of vitamin deficiencies in people
- Reasons why the generic drugs are cheaper to buy
- What are the most common chemical signals when a person takes medication?
English research paper topics for high school
- Why do refugees need to learn the universal language?
- How much can you learn a language from listening to music?
- Second language acquisition in students of different age
- Naming of minority groups and foreigners
- Cultural effects of learning the English language on the student
- Impact of movies and television on language learning
Math research paper topics for high school
- The ways math changed our world
- How often do people use math in their life?
- How can McDonald’s math problem be solved?
- Should math contests be banned in high school?
- Who chose ‘x’ to be the unknown and why?
- Some of the most confusing problems introduced in the world of math
Holocaust research paper topics for high school
- Hitler before and after the start of the Holocaust
- Survivors of the Holocaust and their lives today
- What really happened behind Auschwitz’s fences?
- Why and how the Holocaust began
- Psychological effects from the Holocaust on its surviving victims
- Why Hitler chose the Jews for the Holocaust?
Science research paper topics for high school
- Should wild animals have interactions with humans?
- Role of cryogenics and their future
- Can Nanomedicine succeed in extending the lifespan of humans?
- Will alternative energy replace fossil fuels?
- Artificial intelligence and the future: will it replace humans?
- Is there water and life on Mars?
World history research paper topics for high school
- Top three battles of the Korean War
- The Battle of Hoechst and its influence on the Thirty Years’ War
- How did the soldiers of the First Crusade live?
- The Siege of Turin and his positions in wars
- Buddhism and the changes made to it after the Chinese Empire
- The operating of the Silk Road
Medical research paper topics for high school
- Should life-sustaining therapy be forbidden when it is futile?
- What roles does placebo treatment have?
- How can we avoid testing on animals?
- Pros and cons of medical marijuana
- Should kids be vegetarians while growing up?
- Vaccines for kids and the risks of using them.
High school physics research topics
- The life, work and death of Stephen Hawking
- The Church and Galileo Galilee
- Sports science and kinetic energy
- Explaining patterns of sights and optics
- Air resistance
- Newton’s laws